Let's start with the reason why SAFe's PI Planning has been designed, and what happens during PI Planning:
- We don't plan for others. The teams create their own plan. Handovers are discouraged.
- We don't plan activity. We plan objectives. This provides enough transparency for everyone.
- We don't schedule the details. We sort the objectives in descending value order, then put the most valuable thing first.
- We don't focus on having a plan. We focus on achieving a common understanding. Unexpected things happen and our estimates are usually misleading. That shouldn't stop us from having a thorough discussion about what, why and when.
Objectives over Stories
Optimizing PI Planning
- How can we reduce the overhead associated with planning - so that we can plan together more often?
- How much value do we lose by having to resort to mid-term planning - and what can we do to decrease the value decay?